Monday, April 4, 2011

700 million KLPDs



Yeah, India won the world cup. We are world champions. The hotels and bars did good business. The streets were filled with the sounds of Indians yelling "Bharat Mata ki Jai",
"Na chahiye roti, kapda aur makaan,
Humein bus chahiye World cup aur Sri Lanka ki gaan* "

The entire country stayed up late into the night watching the cricketers kiss the world cup like they would never even kiss their wives. Every tax evader, rapist, murderer, conman, child molester, politician, was suddenly proud of being an Indian.
But where the hell was Poonam Pandey??? The only other Indian I wanted to see after the world cup was Poonam Pandey. I turned to every news channel, every sports channel and every tabloid channel, but alas, she had gone into hiding. In the run up to the Pakistan match, according to Poonam Pandey, her parents were really proud of her that she is doing something for the country. Tears welled up in my eyes reading about her proud parents. I wish I could do something my parents would be proud of, but all I am doing is wasting my life here in Sundipenta working with tribals.
I turned to India TV, the best on field news reporting channel and the only channel which shows news that matters to the common man, but all they could afford was Rakhi Sawant jiggling her 21st century scientific instruments to a song crooned by a reject of the Mika Singh band.
I only hope that Poonam Pandey keeps her end of the bargain, because the Boys (or Men) in Blue did not bleed for nothing. A nation awaits you, Poonam Pandey, please do not disappoint your nation, your friends, your family and me........

No comments: