Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Rev-eeww meeting

Another review meeting has come upon me today. It feels just like last week that I managed to sit through one without falling asleep, and today the damn thing's upon me again. Actually, come to think of it, it was last week that a review meeting was conducted. I hate to sit through these meetings. I would rather be out on the field going in my car, with "On Govt duty, NREGS" printed on the number plate, looking at the poor souls walking or waiting for a bus to pick them up, passing me by, listening to songs chosen by my driver that appeal only to his aural senses.
But alas! These review meetings have now become a part and parcel of my job here. I have to write the agenda for these meetings a day before. And since the last 3-4 meetings, try as I may, I cant even think of enough points to make a one-page agenda (Font size - 12, spacing - 1.5). I also have to tie up the loose ends a day or two before, so that my boss does not get a chance to say his favorite line, "Why didnt you follow it up, Sudhir?".
Usually, the meeting which is supposed to begin at 11 am, begins at 1230. The staff, myself included, are more interested in looking at the clock rather than discussing about the fate of our beneficiaries. As expected, lunchtime come pretty soon. And off we go to a nearby restaurant, which would send any health inspector into a hundred year coma. The person who cleans our table with a dirty rag is the person who serves us food too. One hand holding his rag, another scratching his butt, he asks us for our order, in a tone, as if pitying the fact that we have to eat in such a restaurant. One should also take the care not to look at the floor below unless one wants to throw up. But I have stopped caring about such things. For me, one session of the meeting is over, and I have to deal with only one more.
The session after lunch is the toughest. I have to think about so many things to keep myself awake, that sometimes I wander off to my special place. The time goes by ever so slowly and all I can hope for is that the Sun god decides to call it a day early today. Once the NREGA and IKP (SERP's SHG movement), are over, I can sit back and relax while the health and education guys sweat it out. But somehow, everything gets linked with either of my two departments, and I am stirred from my siesta-with-eyes-open.
Oh, how I wish I was on a field visit today, or better yet, drunk and sleeping in my house today.

No comments: